Sustainability and Reproducibility via Containerized Computing
Download full paper from arXiv
Recent developments in the commercial open source community have catalysed the use of Linux containers for scalable deployment of web-based applications to the cloud. Scientific software can be containerized with dependencies, configuration files, post-processing tools and even simulation results, referred to as containerized computing. This new approach promises to significantly improve sustainability, productivity and reproducibility. We present our experiences, technology, and future plans for open source containerization of software used to model particle and radiation beams. Vagrant is central to our approach, using Docker for cloud deployment and VirtualBox virtual machines for deployment to Mac OS and Windows computers. Our technology enables seamless switching between the desktop and the cloud to simplify simulation development and execution.
- S. Peisert, G. Cybenko, S. Jajodia et al., “ASCR Cybersecurity for Scientific Computing Integrity,” DOE Workshop Report, LBNL-6953E (2015).
- M.G. Xavier et al., “Performance Evaluation of Container-Based Virtualization for High Performance Computing Environments,” 21st Euro. Int. Conf. on Parallel, Distrib. & Network-based Processing (2013)
- M. Borland, “Elegant: A flexible SDDS-compliant code for accelerator simulations,” APS Technical Report, LS-287 (2000).
- O. Chubar and P. Elleaume, “Accurate and Efficient Computation of Synchrotron Radiation in the Near Field Region,” Proc. European Part. Accel. Conf., 1177 (1998).
- O. Chubar, P. Elleaume, S. Kuznetsov, A. Snigirev, “Physical Optics Computer Code Optimized for Synchrotron Radiation,” Proc. SPIE 4769, 145 (2002).
- O. Chubar, A. Fluerasu, L. Berman, K. Kaznatcheev and L. Wiegart, “Wavefront propagation simulations for beamlines and experiments with SRW,” J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 425, 162001 (2013).
- Synergia 2.1
- D.P. Grote, A. Friedman, J.L. Vay, I. Haber, “The WARP Code: Modeling High Intensity Ion Beams,” AIP Conf. Proc. 749, 55 (2005).
- J.-L. Vay, D.P. Grote, R.H. Cohen and A. Friedman, “Novel methods in the Particle-In-Cell accelerator Code-Framework Warp,” Comput. Sci. & Disc. 5, 014019 (2012).
- WARP source
- M. Sanchez del Rio, N. Canestrari, F. Jiang and F. Cerrinac, “SHADOW3: a new version of the synchrotron X-ray optics modelling package,” J. Synchrotron Radiation 18, 708 (2011).
- pyenv, https://github.com/yyuu/pyenv
- HTML 5.1
- SVG 1.1
- Xplain: Explaining X11 for the rest of us
- GateOne X11 in Browser (alpha version)